Wednesday 23 October 2013

Reflection - Action Plan 3

This half term I aimed too:

1. Become familiar with the new EYFS Framework and Assessment Procedures

Attending several courses helped me to learn more about how the new EYFS works and how to assess children against the new ELG's and Development Matters bands. Most importantly I learnt than in order to fall within a specific DM band, children must be displaying (or beginning to display) the points in their independent play - being able to count to ten with an adult is not the same as being able to count to ten independently. Displaying this in play shows mastery of an area. 

What has been most useful in getting to grips with the EYFS however, has simply been to teach within the classroom and spend time getting to know the children and planning for their needs. The EYFS lends itself well to learning through play, and observing children in their play and planning to further their knowledge has been a rewarding experience so far.

2. Get to know children and parents

All the parents have been really welcoming and are happy to chat about things in general and their children. Having such a small class has helped me to get to know each individual child's likes and dislikes, and their strengths and weaknesses. The next challenge for me will be to combine these two, and discuss the children with their parents at parents evening!

3. 3d/3e - relevance to new post etc.

Looking at the teaching standards I wanted to make sure I was achieving 3d and 3e successfully as I had not needed to in my previous post (teaching Year 3 instead of Yr R). I was observed during a phonics lesson, which was classed as a "good" lesson, and the resulting discussion with my mentor really helped to improve my teaching further. There is quite a spread of ability within my class and I would now like to focus on helping individual children achieve their potential by stretching the more able and encouraging children working at a lower level to become interested in both Numeracy and Literacy. 

4. Take on Curriculum Responsibilities

As a small school, I felt although not required in my NQT year that I would like to take on some Curriculum Responsibilities. In order for me to learn how this is done I have taken on several responsibilities with my mentor. As yet, we have not looked in great detail as to what is required in this role, so I will continue this target forward into the next half term. 


No comments:

Post a Comment